Contractor Health and Safety Information
To work for us, we need to know that you can work safely. We have provided an easy to read guide on what we as a council require from you as a contractor working for us. You can access this in the Related Documents section at the bottom of this page.
All contractors are expected to comply with the relevant health and safety and associated legislation, codes of practice and Council’s safety requirements.
Central Hawke’s Bay District Council is committed to the provision of a safe and healthy workplace for all workers, including contractors and sub-contractors, in accordance with its Health and Safety Policy and its duties under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015.
We've committed to using a pre-qualification system called SiteWise to help assess the health and safety commitment of potential contractors when we select them to work with us.
What is Site Wise?
SiteWise is an online contractor pre-qualification system that grades a contractor’s Health and Safety capability and makes it available to main contractors and principal organisations.
Having this information available helps us assess your company’s health and safety commitments and systems, and ensures our minimum level of health and safety knowledge and compliance is being met.
How does it work?
Anyone wishing to be considered for contract work at the Council will need to complete the SiteWise online questionnaire regarding their health and safety systems. The questionnaire is assessed by SiteWise’s independent health and safety advisors. It is designed to deliver a reasonable, consistent & achievable pre-qualification process that ensures the minimum level of health and safety knowledge and compliance is met. If required it provides a process for improvement.
It is easy to register, and we are available to help you to get started.
What are the benefits to Contractors?
Access independent and cost effective advice on
- where your business stands in relation to health and safety standards
- how to improve your health and safety practices quickly and easily
Achieve assessment results which are recorded using a traffic light system, which
- gives us confidence when awarding contracts
- makes it easy for other main contractors or principals to see your health and safety performance at a glance
- increase your attractiveness to all five Hawkes Bay councils and other main contractors or principal organisations, as the higher you score, the greater your commitment to good health and safety practices
- The assessment results are valid for a year. This may mean you won’t have to provide evidence of your health and safety systems, processes and competence on a project by project basis.
Where do I sign up?
- Go to www.sitewise.co.nz and signup (registration phase)
- Complete and submit a brief outline questionnaire with some examples of supporting documentation (assessment phase)
Your registration in year one allows you three assessments within that year. In the following year you can submit one assessment per year.
What if I am already registered and assessed by another pre-qualification provider?
Central Hawke’s Bay District Council will accept alternative forms of health and safety pre-qualification, so long as they include an external audit of the contractor’s health and safety systems, and are recognised as having industry credibility. Get in touch to check if valid.
For more information contact:
Health and Safety Manager
Phone: 06 857 8060