Under the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act 2002 every CDEM Group must prepare and approve a Civil Defence Emergency Management Plan (CDEM Plan). These plans must state and provide for:
- the local authorities that have united to establish the CDEM Group
- the hazards and risks to be managed by the Group
- the civil defence emergency management necessary to manage hazards and risks
- the objectives of the plan and the relationship of each objective to the National Civil Defence Emergency Management Strategy
- the apportionment between local authorities of liability for the provision of financial and other resources for the activities of the Group, and the basis for that apportionment
- the arrangements for declaring a state of emergency in the area of the Group
- the arrangements for co-operation and co-ordination with other Groups.
The CDEM Act 2002 requires that CDEM Groups consult with the public over the development of their CDEM Plan and that interested persons may make submissions about the proposed plan to the CDEM Group. Each CDEM Plan must be reviewed after five years in operation.
The Hawke's Bay Civil Defence and Emergency Management Group plan is in four parts with annexes which provide further details on specific items.
- Part One of the Plan sets out the purpose of the Group Plan along with the hazards that can affect Hawke's Bay.
- Part Two is the strategic section and covers the '4 Rs', required by the CDEM Act - that is, reducing risks, maintaining readiness for disasters, planning the response and taking recovery action.
- Part Three is the operational section of the plan and deals with readiness, response and recovery. It outlines how these activities are to be undertaken.
- Part Four outlines the administrative arrangements such as financial, delegated authority and appointments required by the act.
There are a further ten Annexes which contain additional information on subjects such as Welfare Services, Emergency Services, Summary of Hazards, Declaration Forms, etc.
To obtain a copy of the plan or any particular annex you can download them from the Hawke's Bay Emergency Website.