skip to main content skip to main menu

Building Consents & Information
~ Whakaritenga hanga whare

clipbboard house

How Do I Apply For and Obtain a Building Consent?

Restricted building work came into force on the 1st March 2012 and requires all design and building work to be carried out by a Licensed Building Practitioner.

To find more about restricted building work go to

The BCA officers involved in the processing of building consent applications need to know in detail the type and the extent of the building work you wish to undertake.

Every application must be made on the prescribed form.

The application pack must be completed fully and the required information should be PRINTED to ensure that it is clearly understood. A comprehensive check list of required supporting documentation can be found in the application pack.  Project specific producer statements may be accepted from Chartered Professional Engineers as a means of satisfying on reasonable grounds that certain provisions of the Building Code have been met, but these engineers must be on our accepted producer statement register. If they are not then they will need to apply, and the BCA can supply the application forms electronically and in hard copy if you require them.

Together with your application form you are required to provide two copies of the plans and specifications, concise and drawn to scale in black ink.

The plans should include as an absolute minimum the items shown on your building consent application self-checklists supplied with your pack or on-line. If you are unsure about any of the items or even if you do need to supply them please contact a staff member at the BCA to check!

View Application Forms

Related Documents

There are no documents related to this page.

Related Pages

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Central Hawke's Bay District Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Central Hawke's Bay District Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Central Hawke's Bay District Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the Central Hawke's Bay District Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Central Hawke's Bay District Council - / +64 6 887 8060 / Fax: +64 6 857 7179