Grazing the "Long Acre"
The droving of stock (stock moving) throughout Central Hawke's Bay is governed by a Council bylaw.
This is not the same as stock droving with roadside grazing.
Farmers grazing the "Long Acre" on a temporary basis require Council permission. An application for Livestock Roadside Grazing is required and can be downloaded from the Animal Control forms page. Please email Council or telephone +06 857 8060
If you are droving any stock on council roads for more than a single day you will require a Droving Permit.
To apply for a droving permit email Council or phone +64 6 857 8060. Generally at least 24 hours notice is required for the application
Droving Permit Requirements
When applying for a permit we will need the following details from you:
- Full name of person applying.
- Full name, address and phone number of the owner of the stock.
- Full name and address of the head drover.
- If droving cattle a current TB certificate number and date of issue.
- The number and type of stock being moved.
- Any identification, e.g. ear tags or marks on the stock.
- The number of drovers and dogs being used.
- The date and intended movement route for each day of the drove and where stock will be held overnight.
The permit will supply you with any additional safety information/details that may apply to your route, e.g. road works if known etc. It will also state any general requirements that the Bylaws Officer may impose on the drove.
People who own land and pay rates in Central Hawke's Bay will be issued a droving permit at no cost.
Residents of areas outside Central Hawke's Bay will be charged.