Remember to register your dog by 3 months of age and then annually between June and 1 August. Please pay your dog registration on time to avoid late penalty fees.
Dog registration licences cover the period from 1st July to 30th June each year. There are 3 tiers of registration licence for Central Hawke's Bay.
- Rural Dogs
- Urban Dogs
- Responsible Dog Owner (RDO) This is a special licence price given to those owners who have demonstrated to Council they are good owners by paying fees on time, having dogs that are under control at all times and do not wander off the property, and that their property is fully fenced. An inspection of your property must be carried out before the end of April each year. The application fee is $50.00 which is a one off charge separate from the Responsible Dog Owner registration.
How long will the process take?
If you call in at the office you will be given your dog registration tag straight away. If your application is done by mail, we will reply as soon as possible.
Why we need your date of birth
Your date of birth helps to identify you as an individual. The information is required under the Dog Control Act 1996. It assists us to deal with the right person and avoids confusion with someone else with the same name.
Dog registration will not be accepted without the dog owner(s) date(s) of birth.
Dog Registration - dog breeds, colours and age of dog
The 2003 Amendment to the Dog Control Act 1996 provided for the setting up of a National Dog Database.
This database will link information about dogs held by all the Council's throughout New Zealand and the breeds and colours of dogs have been standardised. When you register your dog for the current dog registration year, you will need to put the specific breed of your dog on your application form. For example, instead of stating Spaniel you will have to state Cocker Spaniel or Cavalier King Charles Spaniel etc. Remember to select a breed and colour and include the age of your dog.
- If your dog passes away you are entitled to a refund of the unused portion of the registration fee from the time of notification), but you must apply in writing and return your current registration tag.
- If you change address or give your dog to someone else you need to inform Council in writing within 14 days. - You must include your date of birth and sign your dog registration form.
- If your dog is allowed to wander in an uncontrolled manner you may receive an infringement notice.
- A Permit is required to keep more than 2 dogs on any premises. (Even with multiple ownership of the dogs.)
- Under the Dog Control Act 1996 the 'owner' is defined as any person who has the dog in their possession for a period longer that 72hrs.