History of Central Hawke's Bay Council
Hawke's Bay was administrated by Provincial Government until 1876 when it was replaced by the county system based on the English model. The Counties Act emerged from Parliament providing for 63 counties of which Waipawa was one.
The Waipawa County of 1876 covered over 200 square miles and extended from the Manawatu Gorge to Pukehou and from the Ruahine Mountains to the sea.
Within the County area were a number of Roads Boards responsible to the County.
During 1885 Patangata broke away from the County and in 1908 the County of Waipawa was divided into the Counties of Waipawa, Waipukurau, Patangata, Woodville and Dannevirke.
Meanwhile in 1907 a proposal had been put through to Parliament empowering the Town Board to extend its boundaries so that a Borough Council could be formed. The Borough Bill was passed in early 1908 and in May that year the new Waipawa Borough Council was sworn in. in 1912 The Waipukurau Town Board was replaced also by a Borough Council.
In 1974 The Patangata County Council amalgamated with the Waipukurau County Council and in 1977 the Waipukurau County Council and the Waipukurau Borough Council amalgamated as the Waipukurau District Council. The Waipawa Councils followed suit in 1978.
In 1987 the Government empowered the Local Government Commission to force amalgamation of Local Government units throughout the country. In 1989 the Waipukurau District Council and the Waipawa District Council merged to form the Central Hawke's Bay District Council.
(Information courtesy of: Abbot's-Ford: A History of Waipawa by Margaret A Gray. 1989. CHB Print, Waipukurau and Waipukurau: The History of a Country Town by Patrick Parsons. 1999. CHB Printers & Publishers, Waipukurau. A Waipukurau rotary Club's Millennium Project)